How to be a star banner

How to be a star banner

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Chapter 7: Idol and Fan

Warning: Some minor language ahead.


Star had been frantically pulling clothes out of her draws. Why had she suggested to have dinner at her place? She had just wanted to know the answer to a simple question, but Caleb had gotten so serious. She hadn't thought it was that big of a deal. She hadn't known Caleb for long, but he did seem a bit off last night. She hadn't even exchanged numbers with him. How did she know he was really going to show up? She was freaking out. Yesterday, she didn't see Caleb as a celebrity. She had fangirled over him in college. She had admired him. But yesterday, she hadn't looked at him in awe. She saw that he was much more than a celebrity. He was a human being. He was her friend. At least, that's what she had hoped he felt about her as well. She didn't know what to think honestly. Everything was happening so fast. She leaned towards the mirror and began to check her face. I hope I look ok... Would Caleb even care that she bothered to wear something a little more girly than what she usually did? Why did she care what he thought? He was her idol that's why. She cared about his opinion and thoughts.

"I wonder what I should make for us. It has to be something impressive. He probably eats food from celebrity chefs all the time. Jeez, why did I do this to myself? Let's see what I have in the fridge."


"Oh no...." She sighed. "There's nothing in here!" She stared at her fridge in horror. She was a celebrity, but she definitely wasn't getting paid like one. She thought about going to the store but she'd never make it back in time. She had spent way too long picking out her makeup and clothes."Why didn't I look in the fridge first?"

She began to rummage through the cupboards and draws. She definitely could not give Caleb instant noodles or tv dinners. "Aha!" Star exclaimed. "Found something!" She pulled out a box of macaroni and cheese. It was the best she could manage right now.


Caleb had gotten dressed  pretty quickly. He had been excited to see Star but dreading it at the same time. He was going to tell her how he really felt about her and what she did. He was putting his feelings out there. He couldn't stop thinking that it was a bit premature, but even Star had noticed he was being a little too nice.

As he was heading out he stopped by Tim. "Caleb...where are you going?" He pulled away from Mya's kiss.

Caleb raised a brow at his friend. "You're being rude to Mya. We can talk when I get back."

"No, it's ok. If you're leaving we'll have the whole house to ourselves...we can play around then." She winked at Tim who smirked back at her.

"Ok, thanks for the gross mental image you guys.If I don't leave now, I'll be late."

"Mya, would you be a dear and give us a minute?" Tim asked politely.

"Sure thing babe."

Once she was out of earshot Tim asked another question. "Are you going to see Star?"

"Yeah, I am." He answered his friend honestly.

"Don't."

"Excuse me?"

"Don't see her." Caleb stared in disbelief at his friend. "You give everyone too much credit. You let your emotions get the better of you at times and being around her is dangerous. She blackmailed me so she could be famous. You're feeding into her little game. I apologized for your sake and I was nice about it. Star is getting a free ride off of your fame..."

Caleb stared angrily at his friend. "I can't believe you would say something like that about Star. She regrets doing that to you. She isn't using me for my fame...this meeting was MY idea. If anyone is leeching off of our fame it's Mya."

"What the hell is your problem man? Mya is already famous herself. She doesn't need my fame. She actually cares about me."

Caleb shook his head. "She's the worst kind of person. Mya started a fight at the gala, not for your attention but the world's. She was mad that you never flaunted her. She wanted to be your public girlfriend. You don't understand that you're the biggest thing in television right now and everything you touch skyrockets in popularity. She cares too much about the fame. She's probably texting her friends right now that she's sleeping with Tim Levesque."

"Just shut the fuck up and get out of here Caleb. You're so fucking messed up." 

Caleb watched his best friend with hurt eyes. He turned his back on Tim and left the mansion.

A little while later, Mya found her way back to Tim. "Why don't we go upstairs?" She bit her lip seductively.

"Just go home Mya."

"What?"

"You heard me," He said rudely before leaving the room.

"Hey Star," Caleb smiled as she opened the door. The sight of her made him forget about his fight with Tim.

"Hey Caleb..." She stuttered. She knew he was behind the door and it didn't seem like a big deal until she was face to face with him. She was nervous and it had nothing to do with how big of a celebrity he was.

"I like your dress, you look cute," He said innocently.

"Thanks, it's something I had from my non-celebrity days," She joked.

"Woah...that long ago!?" He played along.

"Yupp, come on in and see my fabulous abode." She took a step back and let him into her house. "I know it's a bit empty, but I'm working on it."

"I like it, it reminds me of home."

"You grew up in a small house?"

"Not exactly...well, I always had a lot of people living in my house. We had my grandfather and uncle living with us, and then my little brother was born and then my twin siblings. So, I've never had a small house, but it did get pretty cramped sometimes. I mean, I did have to share a room with my uncle."

Star couldn't help but laugh. Caleb was adorable. "Sounds like it was fun though. I don't have any siblings."

"You have Harper right?"

"Yeah, you're right. She is like a sister to me."

"I'm sorry I couldn't come up with anything fancier," She said as she led him to the kitchen.

"Are you serious? I haven't had mac and cheese in years! I was honestly excited for a home cooked meal. I haven't gotten to eat like this in a while. Glen keeps me on a strict diet. My body is my money, or something like that."

"I guess I see his point, but it's your voice that attracted me. It's so melodious. I think your voice is your money maker."

Caleb smiled sadly. "You've been in the celebrity world for a few weeks right? You see how it can be. There are fans like you and then there's fans like them. Unfortunately, there's more of them than you."

"But when you find that one fan, isn't it amazing?" She smiled. "I thought that guy that had my face on his shirt was pretty cool, and it was a killer picture. It wasn't even like it was me being choked by Mya or anything."

"Wait until you start doing your acrobat routine and someone stops you after the show and tells you that you inspired them to follow their dreams. that's pretty incredible."

Star smiled, knowing he was talking about her. "I don't think I'll be doing my acrobat routine anytime soon. Nobody wants me to do that. They want me to make appearances at proms and parties. I'm pretty much a show piece. It's a bit discouraging, even though I know tons of people would kill for opportunities like this."

"You're not happy, are you?" He frowned.

Star shook her head sadly. "Honestly. when I blackmailed Tim, my intention was to get my name out there, but I didn't want to be famous like this. I just wanted Tim to tweet out my name or something so I could get a few people to watch my routines. You know...my parents called me the other day and told me that they wanted me to come back home.. They were being so friendly, when they haven't spoken to me in months. That's how I know I've hit rock bottom. Even my parents are being fake. I....I don't want this. I don't deserve it..."

He patted her back affectionately. "It get's better, I promise. I've had to face so much crap in this business. Only a few people are 100% with you, but the money and satisfaction is worth all of it."

"It's different for you Caleb. You're making a difference in people's lives with your music. I'm literally only famous for dating Tim Levesque for a few days." 

"Let's go and watch some television." Caleb changed the subject. "I want to answer your question from yesterday. It has to do a bit with this."

"Ok." Star nodded.

"Are you really interested in game shows?" Star smiled.

Caleb had been so deep in thought. "It's the blue door, I'm certain."

"Look." Star pointed at the screen. "It was the red door."

"Hmm...well good thing I'm not on the show."

Star began to laugh hysterically. "You're a comedian too?"
"A bit," He grinned.

"Ok, ok. Jokes aside, I want to know the answer to the question I asked you yesterday."

Caleb nodded his head understandingly. "First, answer mine alright?"

"That's not really fair..." Star pouted.

"Trust me, it's important."

"Ok..." Star gave in, "Ask away."

"How do you feel about me?" Star was taken aback. It was a strange question. "Be honest with me. I'm not going to think any less of you."

She thought for a minute and then smiled as if it were obvious. "Well, you're my idol." Caleb stood up. Frustration could be read all over his face. "What's wrong...?" She stood up beside him.



"Is that all I am to you...your idol?" Before Star could say anything else he had already pinned her to the wall forcefully.

She stared up at Caleb in fear. This was a different side of him. His soft exterior was gone and replaced by one of anger. "Are you really that oblivious Star...?"

"Caleb..." She whispered. His face was mere centimeters from her's and she couldn't think straight. He was so close!

"The reason why I haven't given up on you is because I care about you. I'm willing to close my eyes to every illegal thing you've done, if it means I get to spend more time with you. Your presence is magical. It's only been a few weeks and already I can't stop thinking about you. I want to be something more than your idol, Star, and I want you to be something more than my fan!"

"Caleb..." She breathed again. So many thoughts were rushing through her head. She couldn't process anything that was happening right now. Caleb leaned in so close that their noses were almost touching. Star began to panic. He is going to kiss me! She ducked under his arms and scurried towards the door. "I think you should go home..." 

He stared at her in absolute terror. The pain was evident in his eyes. "Yeah, you're right...Goodnight Star." He couldn't even look into her eyes as he was leaving.

She felt so terrible. She had wanted to taste his lips, but something was stopping. She watched him walk sluggishly out of her house. "Caleb wait!" She called out to him. "This has nothing to do with you, I have my own issues that I have to work out!" 

Caleb stopped walking in his tracks and balled his fists up. "I'm sorry for forcing myself on you. I'll never bother you again. Just remember what I told you, everything gets better."

"No!" She called out again but he was already in his car with the windows rolled up. "But, I want to see you again..." She whispered as the tears began to fall from her eyes.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear me! What a pickle they are all in, may is crazy, Tim is still an ass (but a human ass not a baboons) and Caleb is going zero to sixty in half. Second. Poor Star must feel so lost, she has no idea how to make up for her silly mistakes other than just being alone and punishing herself. I was very disappointed not to see the next chapter button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the past that Caleb does intensifies his emotions. He finds something good in his life and he wants to keep it there. The only real relationship he was in ended in rejection (Remember his tutor from gen 1?). Tim cares only about two people, himself and Caleb. Everyone else's opinion is irrelevant to him. Star feels terrible. She can't get over the fact that she blackmailed a celebrity and got away with it. She can't fathom that Caleb, her celebrity crush, is starting to show feelings for her. She keeps punishing herself because she doesn't know better. She's all alone in Starlight Shores. I'm glad you like it, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Caleb is way too emotional but I could tell his feelings were building towards Star. Poor Star needs to give herself a break. She made a really stupid mistake and if the other people involved are willing to let it go she should too, as long as she's learned from this experience. I hope she figures out what she wants and how to get there. I hope for Caleb's sake she'll somehow find him again. Not sure what to think about Tim other than he needs to ditch Mya. She's bad news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caleb can't really control his emotions. He falls hard and fast. The next chapter will (hopefully) explain this further. Star feels so unimportant. She literally only has Harper and Caleb in her life that she can be real with. She feels kind of worthless because she isn't being taken seriously by the public for her acrobatics. As for Tim, you'll get to see some of his motivations in the next chapter. Mya is, well she's as bad as you can think about.

      Delete
  3. Ahh, Star didn't react well, even though something different was in her heart. I wish she had said things differently with Caleb, because he thought she flat out rejected him. Telling him anything else but "I think you should leave" would have been so much better. I feel bad that she pretty much pushed away her only other friend besides Harper. Even though Tim and Caleb got in a fight, Tim seemed to take Caleb's words to heart considering he told Mya to leave right away.

    ReplyDelete