How to be a star banner

How to be a star banner

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Chapter 3: Uh-Oh!


Star had been awoken by Caleb’s melodious voice. “Look in your heart…”

“Ughh…Caleb. I love you but damn it’s way too early to be hearing your voice,” Star mumbled, trying to find her phone to stop it from ringing. Who was calling her this early? Unknown number. “Probably somebody trying to sell me something.” She slid the end button across her phone, jumped back in bed and closed her eyes only to be awoken by the same thing. Unknown number.

She answered it angrily. “Hello?”

“Morning Sunshine.” The cheerful voice rang through her ears.

It took a minute to realize who exactly the voice belonged to. “Please don't tell me…” 

“It’s me, the one and only Tim Levesque.” Star couldn't help but be suspicious of the young superstar. She rubbed her eyes. She must have been dreaming. There was no way Tim Levesque had called her. She never even gave him her number in the first place. “Wondering how I got your number?” She could practically feel him smirking on the other side of the phone.

Yeah. Kind of. More importantly, why are you calling me so damn early?” Star grumbled. Celebrity or not, Star was no morning person and Tim was not exempt from her cranky wrath.

“Are you kidding? I'm filthy stinking rich, so getting your number was as easy as getting any other girl’s number.”

“So…you stalk all the girls you like?” Star joked.

“I don’t like you. At all. But…unfortunately I made a deal with the devil and she has something I want. So, I’m calling because I’m keeping my end of the bargain. You said you wanted some publicity right? Well, hurry up and get dressed. I’ll be waiting for you outside of your house in ten minutes. You'll be performing on Morning in the Shores.”

“Wait…what?” Star was taken aback. “Do you know how many people watch that show? I can't do that. I haven't prepared anything! I’m not ready for that.”

“Some people would kill to get the opportunity you're getting right now. I’m giving you what you want. Don't be mad that you have to earn it. Think of it this way. If you fail, people will still be talking about you.”

“I don't want people to be talking about my mistakes!” Star cried out. "That wasn't part of the deal!"

“All publicity is good publicity. But keep in mind if you can't deliver then people will realize you're a fraud.”

“I'm not a fraud. I'm good at what I do. I'm positive that this is my calling,” Star answered.

“So, blackmailing someone to get what you want doesn't make you a fraud?” His frankness hit her like a bullet.

“You don't understand what it’s like down here on the bottom…” Star mumbled.


“Whatever. Don't try to justify yourself. Just get dressed and I'll be there soon.” With that he hung up and left Star to her own devices. She felt sick to her stomach. This wasn't who she was. Using Tim’s attitude as a scapegoat for her actions was wrong. But…the end would justify the means right? Maybe Tim and her would become friends or something and he'd forget all this ever happened. She could hope. Right?


Star quickly rummaged through her dresser for something even remotely TV worthy. She hadn't exactly had the time or funds to prepare for something like this. She had normally been doing her routines with a leotard and some face paint. Star never thought that she'd get this far in this short of time, so her outfit was the least of her problems. She had no other choice but to pack it and hope nobody noticed any imperfections in it. It wasn't flash, but it had character. Her phone began ringing again, it was Tim telling her to "hurry her ass up." She looked out her window and he had indeed been there. Was this really happening? Was this what she had to do all along? 

Star was greeted by Tim's wandering eyes. Any other girl would have loved to be in this situation. Except, Star was sure that if it was any other girl he wouldn't have a look of pure disgust on his face.
"Good thing I hired a stylist for the gig."

"Hey!" Star protested. "What's that supposed to mean? I don't need a stylist!" 

"Well you don't look like you're performing on Starlight Shore's most popular television program."

"My outfit is in here actually." Star held up a bulky paper bag.

"Leave that here, you won't need it. My reputation is on the line. I can't let you go on stage dressed like you're going to the gym or something. My stylist, Marcela is good. She's worked with Katy Belinda for years." Tim casually name dropped as if it wasn't a big deal. Oh yeah, he wasn't a normal human being. How could anyone forget? Celebrity counted as their own category.

"The talk show host, Katy Belinda!?" Her mouth was agape.

"The one and only. So put that bag over there and get in the car."

"But--I can't just leave my only performance outfit in the front of my house! Anyone can take it."

"It doesn't matter. Marcela has a whole wardrobe prepared for you."

"It matters to me. It isn't just something so easily disposed. It's got my memories
 sewn into it." She pulled her keys from her bag. "I'll use your stylist, but my suit is going inside where it belongs."

"Fine. But keep this in mind. You play by my rules, and I'll play by yours. We'll both get what we want." He said, suddenly serious. The ride to the studio was otherwise silent.



"Are you sure this is alright? I mean it's kind of...flashy." Star nervously looked at herself in the mirror. She didn't recognize herself. She still wore her hair up, but it was much more tidy and decorated. Her locks fell to her back in loose curls.Much more of her figure was shown than she'd like. Her long legs were bare, and her chest tightly bound in a corset. "I mean..I don't even know if it's possible to perform in this."

"Sweetheart, why do you hide such beautiful features behind such horrendous clothing? You're a gorgeous young lady, sure to dazzle all who watch the show. As for wardrobe malfunctions, do not worry your pretty little head about any of that. All of my costumes are performance ready. This is truly a masterpiece. I have outdone myself this time, darling. TIm must like you a lot to arrange this. What a nice boy."

Well this nice boy Marcela was talking about wasn't exactly nice...and he didn't really like Star too much, or at all even. "Uhh...I guess?" Star laughed nervously.

"You're on in five minutes Star!" A voice chimed through the speakers around the stylist building. All of the amenities had been located indoors, but the actual show was taped outside in one of Starlight Shore's biggest parks.It was free to attend which is why many spent their mornings there on their way to work. 

"No! I just got here!" Star began to freak out, "I don't know if I can do it!"

"Mr. Levesque wouldn't put you up there if he wasn't sure you could handle the pressure. You'll be fine." Marcela wagged a finger at the young girl. "So at least show the world your smile."

Yeah...you really don't know Mr. Levesque.


Star looked around nervously. There were so many people in the audience, even more watching live at home. She swallowed hard. She could do this. This was her dream. She stared into the vast crowd of cheerful faces, waiting for a performance. She hadn't once thought of what she would do once her feet hit the stage. 

"Do something!" Someone yelled.

"Stop standing there!"

The crowd erupted in loud whispers. "How did she land this gig anyway?" 

"Uhmm, hi everyone. My name is Star Upton. I hope you guys enjoy my show..erm I mean routine!" Star stuttered. There were too many people with eyes on her. She shut her eyes tightly and turned around. She started with a handstand and then began to do more elaborate stunts. She was about to land a front flip when her world came crashing down around her. 



She had miscalculated and fell. The stage was padded and posed no actual threat to her physical being. The only thing hurt was her pride. She got up quickly and looked around. For the most part the crowd looked unaffected except for a few who couldn't hold back their snickers. 

Tim watched on in absolute horror. He was hoping she'd fail, and get a taste of what it felt like to be humiliated. Then she'd leave him alone. What he expected to be satisfaction was guilt and regret. The audience was told to be still and silent at the mishap, but he knew how cruel people could be. It had happened to him countless times. He was lucky to have not experienced a blunder on live TV as of yet. He was used to the editing out of his imperfections. But here was this girl, facing rejection on a massive scale. In a few seconds her fall would be all over the internet, people would be trashing her and sharing laughter at her expense. Tim watched the girl, on the verge of tears, try to run off the stage. She wasn't a professional. Nobody told her to continue on with the show. She was shutting down and trying to escape the world and it was partly his fault. She was the one blackmailing him, why did he feel so bad?


Tim ran part way up the stage to stop the shaken girl. It was as if he had forgotten about the cameras and the curious onlookers. He grabbed her hands and spoke softly to her. She was just a performer like him, trying to make it in the business. He was just beginning to understand. "Hey, it's one performance."

"Are you kidding? I made you look like an idiot. You vouched for me and I couldn't even deliver...I'm a fraud." She cried softly. 

The people leaned in trying to hear what was going on, to no avail. Neither of them had microphones and they were both practically whispering. 

"You're not a fraud...there's a ton of other negative things I'd call you, but a fraud isn't one of them. It's my fault. I threw you in there too prematurely."

Star cried even harder. "I'll never make it in the business! I was stupid to even come to Starlight Shores. My parents were right. You were right. The audience is right. I need to get a new dream.."

"Look at me, Star." He tilted her chin. "It gets better, I promise."


The television host bounced back on stage and began to cheer. "Alright ladies and gentleman, there you have it. Looks like Tim Levesque is off the market!"

"What?" Star asked, shocked.

"Tim...you don't have to hide it. Your fans know that a guy like you can't stay single for long. It's so cute that your girlfriend was so nervous to impress you that she messed up."

"Right..." Tim mumbled, pushing Star backwards protectively.

"Aww, they're so cute, aren't they? You've heard it here first on Morning on the Shores! Until tomorrow!"

Tim didn't wait for the host to step down. As soon as the cameras cut, he grabbed Star's arms dragged her to his car. They were going to get out of here before they were swarmed with paparazzi.

"What just happened!?" Star asked in disbelief.

"Great, just great. I thought I'd be rid of you after that one show," Tim sighed, obviously irritated.

"Hey! This is your fault technically. I thought you were the professional, why did you grab me?"

"Because...for one second I remembered what it was like being this hopeful kid trying to make it big in the industry, I remembered how scared I was to take the leap of faith and how ruthless people can be. They want to see you fail. So, excuse me for being a human being."

"Thank you..." Star whispered. "I appreciate that. Even if your intention wasn't with me in mind. You  lessened the blow and you didn't have to. I'm the one making your life hell. I'm sorry. I won't show that picture to anyone."

"It's a little too late for that. Do you know anything that the media says about me?" Star shook her head no. "I'm elusive to the media when it comes to my personal life.  I'm trying to protect the people I care about and my privacy. That's not so unreasonable is it?"

"It's not. But...what do we do now? Damage control? You go on a talk show and clear all this up?"

"No. It's not that simple. They'll look further into the situation and you'll be exposed even more."

"So what? It was my choice. I did this to myself." Star shrugged.

"You'll get blacklisted. Normally, I wouldn't care, but this is kind of my fault so, I have an idea that'll work for both of us. You may not like it..."

Star shook her head. "No...I will not pretend to be your girlfriend for the media."

"Why not? Do you know the amount of publicity that you'll get? Trust me...it'll all be worth it. You won't look like an idiot either because I don't want to be seen with one. It's a win win. Unless you have another idea?"

When they reached the house Star sat as far from Tim as she could, opting for a separate couch altogether. They had been discussing several options before being interrupted by the presence of Tim's manager.

"Hello there young lady. Tim." Glen nodded in acknowledgement of them both and settled in the recliner between the two. "Whats this I hear about a new relationship?"

"You heard about it already?" Tim sighed in annoyance.

"Are you kidding? I heard about it mere seconds after it happened. You know you're not supposed to do publicity stunts without contacting your manager right? There is a such thing as bad publicity. What you did had the potential to ruin your career. Explain to me what you're trying to achieve by bringing this girl into the light?"

Star sat quietly and watched the two. Tim's manager had found them out so easily, there was no doubt others would as well.

"I'm not trying to do anything," Tim defended. "This isn't a game where you get to control my life. I love Star....there's nothing more to it than that. I couldn't stand seeing her upset after messing up her routine so I jumped in."

"Star? Why does that name sound so familiar? You can't be the girl we were going to hire to clean the house, can you? Oh goodness Tim, what are you doing?"

"Why do you think I won't let her clean the house..." Tim sent a playful smirk her way. Even she was convinced he was in love with her. He was a terrific actor.
He stood in front of her, eyes gazing into her own. He grabbed her hand and led her to the couch next to him. She saw why so many girls swooned over him. She was seeing a different side of him. He took his acting seriously. He pulled her on the couch next to him and held her face lightly. Just as Tim was about to crash his lips onto hers, Glen stood up. "Ok, I get it. You know that gala you're attending tomorrow night? Make sure you bring her with you. I'll go call everyone and let them know."

When he left, Tim released her quickly and Star slid to the far right of the couch.

"Don't be mistaken Star, I still don't like you at all."

"I know, but your intention wasn't selfish earlier, at least not for a few seconds." She smirked at him. "The great Tim Levesque does have a heart."

"Yeah yeah. Just try not to really fall in love with me."

"You were the one about to kiss me," she corrected.

"One of us has to be convincing." Tim said before gathering his car keys. "Let's go...we have a gala to shop for. You're my date and you have to be the most stunning one there."

"Alright King Levesque." Star rolled her eyed and followed him. Why...why was she doing this? More importantly, what would Harper think?

_______________________
Next chapter we'll see the return of Caleb and Harper. Wonder whats in store for Star at the gala? 

3 comments:

  1. Uh oh indeed! Star is in deep and quickly. Tim shoulda known better though... You can't set someone up to fail if you don't have the stomach to see it through. Harper is gonna be mad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are certainly not going according to plan. I knew Tim had a heart since he was friends with Caleb. It was nice that he wanted to help her after she failed, he certainly made things worse. Now they have to keep on pretending and it can only get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I thought it was funny how Star thought she was so smart blackmailing Tim, and then when he gives her the advertising of her career that she wants, she is upset with him. It's like she thought Tim would do things on her terms because she was blackmailing him, I kind of laughed when she told Tim he didn't know what it was like at the bottom because I was like how does she think Tim got to the top? Everyone starts somewhere and I think most people forget that. I was glad that Tim showed her that side of him when he helped her by telling her those nice things. Leave it up to the media to screw up a nice moment though. LOL.

    ReplyDelete