How to be a star banner

How to be a star banner

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Chapter 5: It's Over

It's the chapter of the bromance.


"What the hell is all of this?" Glen asked angrily coming into the room. He held up his tablet.

"Is this a tabloid?" Tim asked, reading the headline.

"Yes, just one of the many talking about this. You guys are all over the news. Can you explain to me this? Please, because I'm dying to know." Glen wasn't happy at all, and he was warranted in that anger.

Tim looked at Glen and shrugged. "It looks like just some fun and games to me."

"Fun and games? Why don't you tell me what kind of game this is?"

"Very aggressive truth or dare?"

"CALEB!" Glen shouted.

"What?" Caleb, sighed rubbing his eyes. "I don't have any appearances today."

"Can you please explain this to me?" Glen handed Caleb the tablet. "Tim seems to think it's aggressive truth or dare."

Tim and Caleb began to laugh hysterically, obviously being on the same page.

"I'm being serious. Tell me now," Glen said sternly.

"We didn't know Mya was going to be at the party. She was a little jealous when she saw Tim with his girlfriend. She just attacked her. it wasn't Star's fault," Caleb defended.

"Ex-girlfriend." Tim corrected.


Glen closed the tab and opened a new one. "What about this one? Is this why the relationship didn't work out so well?" He showed the headline to both boys and waited for a response. "What am I looking at?"

Caleb blushed furiously. "It isn't what it looks like!"

"What the hell Caleb?" Tim said angrily.

"Ex-girlfriend?" Caleb retorted.

"So you guys don't even know what's happening. This is what I was afraid of," Glen sighed. "Sit down guys, we're going to have a talk."

"A talk? This has nothing to do with you!" Tim began to shout.

"It has everything to do with me because I'm the one who has to dig you out of this crap!" Glen shouted back.

"Tim! Calm down!" Caleb grabbed his shoulder.

"What the hell is your problem!?"

"Glen," Caleb sighed. "Can you give us a minute?"

Glen began to rub his neck nervously, "Yeah. Sure. Just don't kill each other. I need you in one piece for tomorrow's interview."



Once Glen left, Caleb turned to Tim. "Don't argue with me here, I'm going to tell you my side of the story. You're going to tell me how you feel and we'll work it out."

Tim nodded to his friend and let him continue. "You went to talk to Mya and you left angry.What happened?"

"I thought you were going to say your side first?" Tim frowned, recalling the moment.

"Well, I figured we'd work the story out together."

"She wanted to know why I never brought her to public appearances with me. I would have never brought her to this gala with me."

"You still have feelings for her don't you?" Caleb asked.

"What?" Tim blushed. "What gave you that idea?"

"For one, you're blushing, which you never do. The other thing is that, I know you. You never took her places because you didn't want her to be exploited in the papers, or taken advantage of right?" Tim only nodded. Caleb was the only one who understood him and looked passed his foul behavior.  They had much more in common than just the fame. "Why is Star different? You weren't cautious with her. Why are you dating someone you have no feelings for?"

"I do have feelings for Star!" Tim defended. He thought keeping up this image in front of Caleb would mean something. But, there was no fooling Caleb. Caleb, because of his past was able to understand and sympathise with people just a bit better than others. It was why he was so famous. No matter what life threw at him, he always took it with a smile and a warm heart.

"You don't. You were trying to make Mya jealous, but all you succeeded in was making Star look bad. You dragged her into a game she wasn't prepared to play."

"Trust me, she dragged herself into this game," Tim leaned further into the couch. He thought about exposing her to Caleb, but what would it matter. It wouldn't change anything that happened. "Besides...why do you care so much about her? You only just met her."

"I've met her before, at one of my concerts. She was telling me about how she was inspired by my music. She just seemed so real and different from the other girls who just throw themselves at me. Fans like her are the reason I do what I do. We're not very different. How she's being treated now by people is how I was being treated when I was growing up. Nobody believes in you, and it's tough. I just felt so bad for her after you blew up yesterday. I wanted her to know that everything gets better. I know that you're upset about what Mya said, but it isn't Star's fault and you need to talk to both of them."



"I didn't mean to be that harsh..." Tim shook his head. "I just...really care about Mya. I mean, look...no one has seen this before." He lifted his shirt and showed Caleb the tattoo. "This is the root of everything."

"Dude..." Caleb smiled sadly. "You're whipped. You know what you have to do now  right?" Tim shook his head. "Apologize to Star and then tell Mya how you really feel. It isn't fair that you led the poor girl on like that."

"This is so stupid....nothing worked out how I planned.I feel kind of...." he paused looking for the right word. "Ridiculous. I feel absolutely ridiculous."

"But you really shouldn't..." Caleb began.

"This is where I'm going to stop you. It's only been like a week since this has happened, but you're my best friend and I don't feel so great lying to you. Star literally means nothing to me."

"That's kind of mean, don't you think?" Caleb frowned.

"No, it isn't. She tried to blackmail me to get me to promote her as an acrobat. She was there when I got this tattoo and I was so drunk I didn't notice. So, I wanted to screw with her for even thinking about messing with my reputation. I got her the gig so I could see her fail in front of millions of people, but when it actually happened, I felt like total shit. It didn't spawn for any care for a person like her, it was me, seeing myself auditioning for these gigs where people wouldn't take me seriously and I saw the desperation in her eyes and I did something so irrational to stop the pain and I forgot we were on TV. This girlfriend thing was damage control and if this fight with Mya never happened, we'd still be pretending."

Caleb sighed. "It sounds kind of ridiculous, you understand that right?"

Tim nodded, "I know, but she really did blackmail me..."

"Not that." Caleb shook his head. "I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but the other day she called herself an idiot and said I wouldn't understand, so with this information, it makes sense. I was actually talking about how ridiculous it sounds that you don't care about her. It's only been a week, but you do care, otherwise you wouldn't have gone out of your way to help her."

"I was helping myself."

"You were helping her. Not only the television thing, but look how she went to the gala. She looked stunning. You had ample opportunity to expose her." Caleb grinned at his friend. "But you didn't"

"I dressed her like that to make Mya jealous!"

"I would believe flaunting Star would make Mya jealous, but you were hoping she'd see it in a magazine. You had no idea Mya was going to actually be there. Otherwise, you'd have thought about staying home and you showed no hesitation. You like her."

"I tolerate her, but I don't like her. It's different."

"Aww my little boy is so cute!" Caleb grinned, poking fun at his friend.

"Just stop...!" He turned away in embarrassment. Caleb was the only person he'd let speak to him like that and the only person he'd actually be 100% with. Why? Because Caleb was real. He understood Tim and he never once judged him or hoped for his failure. Caleb didn't care about Tim's status and never once tried to use him. Tim knew he could be hard to deal with at times and he wondered why Caleb even put up with him.

"Alright, alright. Get your stuff, we're going to go talk to Star. We can't just leave her upset like that. She needs some sort of closure. An official end to the charade."



"Wait...she blackmailed me! You're condoning this?" Tim cried.

Caleb shook his head. "You of all people should know how tough it is to get to this point. She wants to be taken seriously and she can't, because of people like us. We're distracting the world from the small talent because of how big our fame is. Our presence is overpowering. I got extremely lucky to get to this point. I didn't have to work nearly as hard as you did for the fame--"

"But you had a lot to overcome, things that I didn't have to. You got tortured growing up, give yourself some credit. Overcoming all of that is incredible."

"It wasn't that bad. Yeah, I didn't have any friends growing up but I had an amazing family that supported me. I pretty much sailed through the audition process. It was pure luck. But stop changing the subject, we need to talk to her."

"I don't understand why you aren't upset!"

"You didn't see how upset she was Tim. She was falling apart after you yelled at her. The sparkle in her eyes I saw when I first met her was gone. I remember it clearly. She was one of those fans who was genuinely touched by my work. I'd never expected to see her again. Especially not like this. I don't know her that well, or her story. But I know one thing. She regrets everything that happened. She was a broken girl when I saw her and if she only cared about getting ahead, she wouldn't have even been upset by your words. I know it's ridiculous to think I'd be this forgiving, but something in my gut is telling me that with her...there's more than what's at the surface."

Tim sighed. "You really care about me apologizing, don't you?"

He nodded, "I really do."

"Let's go then. I have her number, we'll find her."

Star was enjoying a day at the beach. After the events of last night, the world was abuzz. Star honestly didn't care what the world thought. They were debating over a fake relationship that meant nothing. Tim was obviously in love with Mya. She wasn't stupid. She saw how he couldn't keep his eyes off of her slim figure at the party. It wasn't a look of hunger, like some of the other men at the party. It was different. She couldn't put her finger on it, but she knew he would never give that look to her. She didn't deserve it. Not from him, or anyone. Star sat by the water, looking out to the sea. Everyone around her seemed to be wrapped up in their own world. It seemed as if nobody in Starlight Shores gave a damn about celebrities. If thats what you wanted to call her. She was thankful for that. All of the hype seemed to be taking place in other neighborhoods. She was not thrilled to Harper this morning telling her she wasn't in the mood to talk about the gala and that she'd get back to her when she was feeling better. Harper respected it and gave her the distance she needed.

Star scrunched her eyes at the screen. Tim Levesque. She groaned, thinking about all the things he would say to her. It was a disaster, and though she didn't do anything wrong at the gala, she had messed up royally by attempting to blackmail him and she knew she would pay for it.

"What do you want?" She sighed irritatedly.

"To talk, in person. I want to know where you are."

"I don't really want to see you."

"I know. I wouldn't want to see me either. I was a jerk to you last night because I was upset. I....well this is hard to say, but...Caleb, relax! I'm going to tell her."

"What is going on over there?"

"Caleb thinks I'm not going to tell you why I was such a jerk last night. But, I will man, so back off. I really care about Mya so losing her made me freak out."

"I already knew that Tim. It was obvious. But, if all you called for was an apology, than I guess I accept it. I'm sorry for everything I did as well. I'll be the one to break up the relationship and look like the bad guy online. I'll tweet something about how I thought you had too much baggage or something and make me look really snobby. Tell Caleb thank you from me. It was nice knowing you both for a few days."

As Star was about to hang up, Tim began to speak."Damn it Star. You're so annoying. Can we just talk in person? I don't want to end it like this and I don't think Caleb will let me either."

"He's right!" Caleb called from the background. "Just talk it out! For me, Star!"

"Ughhh, fine!" Star sighed. "I can't really say no to Caleb. I don't know if he told you, but I'm a fan of his work."

"Yeah, he mentioned it. So, tell us where you are."

"I'm at the beach. you guys can meet me here, it's getting pretty late so theres no barely anyone around. I don't want to risk paparazzi anymore. I saw some pretty nasty headlines this morning."

"We'll be there soon. Give us fifteen minutes, alright?"

"Yes, see you soon."

Star had bounced back to her things and began to dry off. She hadn't really been expecting a call from Tim. Caleb wasn't kidding when he said he'd talk to him. Despite his concern for her, she thought he was just putting on a show to create more publicity. She was finding it hard to believe that he was a real person and not hiding behind a mask.

She turned around at the sound of someone clearing their throat.

"Hey Star." Caleb smiled sweetly.

"Hi Caleb...!" Star blushed furiously. She was human and seeing Caleb triggered last night's memories. His comforting arms around her were enough to make her swoon. Meeting him did not take away her crush on him, it only intensified it.

"Star." Tim acknowledged her existence.

"Tim." She imitated.

"You have something to say, right?" Caleb pushed his arm lightly.

"Uhh...right. Sorry, about last night.It was uncalled for.I was inexcusably rude and I have no right to treat a woman like that. So, I apologize. I didn't mean to even get you in this mess in the first place."

"I accept your apology and I appreciate the thought Tim, but it's unnecessary. It's all my fault. I can't sit here and lie in front of my favorite singer. This is not who I am. I've been blackmailing Tim this entire time, and it was stupid of me and I didn't mean for any of it to happen. I just wasn't happy being pushed around in the stupid salon I was working in. I studied for four years in college for some stupid arts degree that nobody cares about and I'm making enough money just to survive. I don't even have my parent's support! Coming out here was supposed to be exciting and full of adventure and I saw an opportunity and I took it. I wasn't thinking and I dug my own grave, so let me lay in it. Please, don't yell at me. You can put any charges against me, just please, save my ego. I've been embarrassed enough," Star begged.

"Star, Caleb already knows. You don't think I would lie to my best friend, do you?"


"Waaiit! Don't kick me while I'm down! You told me I couldn't tell anyone!" Star cried,

"Caleb found out right before we came here. I didn't feel right about all of this. And, I'm not going to turn you in or embarrass you." 

"Wait, why not? I deserve it!"

"I'll give you guys a minute?" Caleb asked, taking a step back. Tim nodded in response.


"Star Upton, you're a crazy person. I'm convinced. There's no doubt about it. You blackmailed one of the most famous stars in the world today."

"And that famous star isn't pressing charges, so who is crazier?" She cracked a small smile.

"The truth is this. Caleb really sees something in you. He's convinced that there's a method behind your madness. He was right. What you just said, all of it. I understand. I wasn't born this famous. I know, it's hard to believe, but it's the truth. I had to work my ass off to impress the directors. Not even other actors took me seriously. I'm not saying what you did was right, but I do understand why you did what you did. If you want to make an honest living and have people like you, you need to be real with them. I know I'm the last to talk, but my fans, they don't like me, they like the character that the media has created. You don't want fake fans like that. You want to aspire to be someone like Caleb, who has fans like you. You had a lasting effect on him because his music had one on you. I haven't  met a fan like that."

Star wiped a falling tear from her eye. "It's a happy tear, I swear. My friend, Harper, she loves you so much. She has practically memorized all of the movies you've been in and she watches all of your interviews. She thinks you're incredible and it isn't because you're a pretty face. I mean, yeah, she thinks you're hot, but thats a bonus for her. Just, be this nice guy all the time."

"I'd like to meet Harper one day then." He grinned.

"Trust me, she'd love that. Thank you so much Tim. I apologize for everything I've done to you and I'm just really happy you understand where I'm coming from. I didn't expect you to forgive me, I just wanted you to hear me out and ... just thank you!"

"Listen, I better get going. I've got to prepare this speech for an interview I'm doing tomorrow. I won't make you look bad, I'll just say it was a conflict of interests."

"Goodbye Tim." She gave a slight wave. Tim smiled before turning to Caleb and motioning for them to leave.

"Bye Star!" Caleb called out with a wave. "Don't ever compromise on who you are!" 

"Thank you Caleb!" She waved to him.

She packed up and decided to head home too. She picked up her phone to see how many missed messages she had. Zero. The only person who would actually do that was Harper, and Star told her to give her some space. Star slid down into the corner and shut her eyes. She had just been let off the hook for something that would have gotten her some serious jail time. She could continue living in Starlight Shores, Tim wasn't going to sell her out to the media. She could use this small publicity Tim had given has a kickstart for her career. Everything had worked out in the end, but she wasn't happy. She just felt more empty and alone. Tim's goodbye wasn't a "see you soon" it was the end of a chapter. She would no longer communicate with Tim or even Caleb. Yes, Tim was an incredible jerk, but today she saw a different side of him. Caleb, she had always liked him and meeting him didn't disappoint. She knew it was irrational to think anything more would come from a situation like this, especially since she committed a crime. She should just be happy that she wasn't getting penalized for her actions. She tried to shake the thought from her head but she couldn't. She was so close to them but she couldn't feel farther away.

2 comments:

  1. Caleb is such a nice guy. Getting Tim to apologize to Star and not being upset with the tabloid stories. It's a wonder he's survived being a celebrity. I guess Tim isn't as bad as I thought, he does have some redeeming characteristics. Star learned her lesson, I doubt she'll try to blackmail anyone again. I just hope she doesn't give up on her dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I love celebs like Caleb. :D They're the best.
    I think deep down Tim is nice, I always thought that he was, but his image he has to hold up is what's bringing him down, like he mentioned, the persona the media has created of him. I actually kind of feel bad for Tim that the media's twisted his image so much, no one tries to see the real Tim, they just judge him and believe the media. *rolls eyes*
    I loved the second chance Tim and Caleb gave Star. By forgiving her of her blackmail, she gets a chance to now do whatever she wants without having to be thrown in jail. She seems a little depressed at the end though, poor girl.

    ReplyDelete